Child playing with matches causes house fire

DANGER: The fire was extinguished within an hour by MFS crews.
DANGER: The fire was extinguished within an hour by MFS crews.

A child playing with matches on a mattress has caused a structural fire at a home in Port Augusta.

At around 5pm yesterday afternoon the Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) responded to a call on Surrey street with three appliances and 12 firefighters.

On arrival, crews found smoke issuing from the single story home.

A male occupant of the house sustained minor burns as he attempted to extinguish the blaze using a garden hose.

The fire was contained to the room of origin, however it did spread to a nearby wall and up into the ceiling.

Firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus', removed gyprock to gain access to the smouldering fire in the wall cavity and the fire was full extinguished within one hour.

The adjacent kitchen suffered heat and smoke damage with the total bill coming to $40,000.

The South Australian MFS run a Juvenile Fire Lighters Intervention Program (J-FLIP) to help families overcome the problem of unsafe fire lighting and experimentation.

The aim of the program is to reduce the number of deaths, injuries and the millions of dollars of property damage caused by juvenile fire setting.

Specially trained firefighters work with children and parents in the program. There is no charge for the J-FLIP and confidentiality is assured.

Anyone interested in the J-FLIP program should contact 8204 3611 or 1300 737 637.