This spicy salad makes a good entrée, light meal or side dish for a barbecue or buffet. The cuttlefish can be marinated for several hours before cooking.
Ingredients for six as an entrée
- 1kg cuttlefish, cleaned, tentacles halved
- Spicy Orange Marinade
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 large orange, zest grated, juiced
Cherry Tomato & Sprout Salad
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 140g bean sprouts, tailed
- 40g snow pea sprouts
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced and dipped in lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- Salt flakes, to taste
- Make Spicy Orange Marinade: combine all ingredients and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Cut cuttlefish hoods down one side and open out flat. Score the inside of the flesh with angled cuts, turn the hoods around and repeat so that the cuts form a crosshatched pattern. Slice into wide strips.
- Pour marinade over cuttlefish, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a barbecue or char-grill plate.
- Make Cherry Tomato & Sprout Salad: combine all ingredients and toss gently to combine.
- Remove cuttlefish from the marinade, drain well and cook over a high heat for 1-2 minutes, turning occasionally, until it turns opaque.
- Toss cuttlefish through salad and serve.
Alternative species: Baby octopus (omit scoring, cut into quarters), squid, calamari.