Bulldogs climb the ladder and Westies make it two in a row

A GRADE: West Augusta's Nick Collins makes the most of his speed as Central's Mark Fuller approaches. Photo: Sue Dalla Santa.
A GRADE: West Augusta's Nick Collins makes the most of his speed as Central's Mark Fuller approaches. Photo: Sue Dalla Santa.


South Augusta faced a bottom-placed Ports this week, destroying the Pirie team by over 100-points.

It was a dog fight in the first quarter. Ports managed to tie up the scoreboard, keeping up with the reigning premiers who got off to a slow start.

But the Bulldogs came out firing in the second, kicking eight unanswered goals in a stunning display of footy.

Kahran Mckenzie was punishing with the leather, kicking five of his own and claiming three more before the day was out.

Ports managed to sneak a goal before half-time, but the damage was well and truly done.

The onslaught only continued after the break, Souths kicked another seven goals and kept their flailing opponents to just one major score.

By the end of the third quarter the Bulldogs had hit 114-points, sharing glory between seven individual goal scorers.

Souths put the nail in the coffin in the final term, kicking another three goals to Ports zero.

Co-captain Caleb Ritter even managed to sneak up forward to put one through the middle.

In what was definitely a captains day out, Darcy Kildea and Ritter emphatically lead their team to victory.

Ruckman Matt Downey and Kareem Aitkin were good for the Dogs in another all-round impressive team effort from the red and white.


West Augusta made it two wins in a row this week against struggling Central Augusta.

Centrals provided a more convincing challenge against the Hawks, seemingly putting efforts from the past few weeks behind them.

West went into the first break eight-points up, but it was all Centrals in the second quarter.

The Bloods came out firing, goals from Jack Muirhead and Caleb Williams gave them an early lead.

But Hawks persisted, resulting in an even tussle from both sides.

West went into the half-time break just five points up, leaving the door wide open for Centrals.

Muirhead kicked another two goals in the early stages of the third quarter, but goals from Joshua Milera and Jordan Warren ensured Westies maintained their lead.

Centrals ran out of steam in the fourth quarter and Hawks took full advantage.

Westies put four major scores on the board, keeping Centrals to just one goal before the final siren.

The 30-point win was all Westies, but the Hawks will need to dig deeper against the likes of South and PropRisden if they are to stand any chance of beating a top three side.

Best players for the victors came in the form of Tariek Newchurch, Travis Collins and Hills recrtuit Declan Duffy.

Slade Laube put in another solid effort, as did co-captain Joe Packard.

Terry Hall, Ryan Struck, Jack Muirhead, Caleb Williams and Joshua Berry were good in another disappointing day for Centrals.