Singer R. Kelly, already charged with sexual assault in Illinois, has been indicted in federal courts in New York and Chicago with transporting women and girls across state lines for sex, forcibly keeping them under his control and buying their silence.
In indictments unsealed in Brooklyn and Chicago on Friday, federal prosecutors said Kelly, 52, ran a racketeering and human trafficking scheme that required the women and girls to be obedient, call him "Daddy" and ask permission to eat or use the bathroom.
"The purposes of the enterprise were to promote R. Kelly's music and the R. Kelly brand and to recruit women and girls to engage in illegal sexual activity with Kelly," prosecutors said in the Brooklyn indictment.
Kelly, who was free on bond in the Illinois state case, was taken into custody again by New York City police detectives and federal agents on Thursday evening as he walked his dog in Chicago, his lawyer Steve Greenberg said.
The R&B singer made a brief court appearance in US District Court in Chicago on Friday and was ordered back on Monday for further proceedings.
Kelly, who was handcuffed and wearing orange jail garb, spoke only to reply "yes, your honour" to the magistrate judge.
Brooklyn prosecutors urged in a court filing that Kelly be held without bond on the federal charges while they seek to have him sent to New York for a hearing that has yet to be scheduled.
Greenberg said in a statement posted to Twitter that the federal charges mostly stem from conduct that is "decades old" and already part of the state case or previous allegations that Kelly had been acquitted of.
"He and his lawyers look forward to his day in court, to the truth coming out and to his vindication from what has been an unprecedented assault by others for their own personal gain," he said.
The five-count Brooklyn racketeering indictment includes multiple allegations going back to 1999, including sexual exploitation of a child, kidnapping and forced labour.
Under the alleged scheme, Kelly and his entourage would invite women and girls backstage after concerts, isolate them from friends and family, and make them dependent on him for their financial well-being.
Chicago prosecutors charged in their 13-count indictment that Kelly had sexual contact with five minors, recorded videos of some of them and paid them off to buy their silence.
Prosecutors said Kelly paid an unidentified individual $US170,000 to cancel a news conference in which that person planned to announce he had tapes of Kelly engaging in sexual activity with minors.
Kelly "used physical abuse, violence, threats of violence, blackmail and other controlling behaviours against victims so that Kelly could maintain control over them, prevent them from providing evidence to law enforcement, and persuade them to continue to abide by prior false statements," the indictment said.
The Chicago indictment also charges two of Kelly's former employees, Derrel McDavid, 58, and Milton "June" Brown, 53 with obstructing the investigation. Kelly, McDavid and Brown are also accused of conspiring to receive child pornography mailed across state lines.
Last month, Kelly pleaded not guilty to 11 new state felony counts of sexual assault and abuse at a Cook County, Illinois, court hearing, after prosecutors expanded an indictment against him.
He has denied abuse accusations for decades.
The Cook County charges involve alleged abuse of a victim between the ages of 13 and 16 that prosecutors said took place between May 2009 and January 2010.
In February, Kelly pleaded not guilty to charges that he sexually assaulted three teenage girls and a fourth woman.
The Grammy-Award winning singer, known for such hits as I Believe I Can Fly and Bump N' Grind, spent a weekend in jail on the sex charges before being released on $US100,000 bail on February 25.
Australian Associated Press