South through to the Grand Final and season over for West

A GRADE: It's all over for the West Augusta Cricket Club after falling to Central/Stirling in this weekend's elimination final.
A GRADE: It's all over for the West Augusta Cricket Club after falling to Central/Stirling in this weekend's elimination final.

South reassured the competition why they finished on top of the ladder by booking their place in the Grand Final with a win over Quorn by 38 runs.

Defending a low score, South's bowlers were incredible against a good Quorn line-up and bowled them out for 67 in just 27 overs.

Each of the five bowlers had an impact as the defending champions' hopes of going back-to-back became even greater.

Wicketkeeper, Corey Cuffe was back in the line-up and opened the batting with Craig Shirley, but the latter fell in the sixth over to Paul Rodgers off the back of three consecutive maidens.

Will Waterworth fell next to Tom Finlay and put the pressure on Cuffe and number four batsman Todd Kernahan.

The pair negotiated the opening bowlers well and looked like rebuilding the innings before their 20-run stand was broken with the wicket of Cuffe for 11.

After claiming the wicket of Cuffe, Rodgers then dismissed Kernahan to leave South 4/38 after 16 overs.

Marcus Gill and Rowan Irvine set about rebuilding the innings and had some tough bowling to face but got through it steadily.

They started to pick things up as they moved into the second half of the innings and Quorn began to get frustrated by the stubborn pair.

Gill moved to 30 but Scott Williams broke through and ended his innings as well as the 46-run stand.

This sparked a late-order collapse as Irvine saw Vater, Trewartha and Kerin come and go before being dismissed himself for an innings-high 31.

Williams got the final wicket and South were all out for 105.

Williams, Corey Finlay and Cameron Finlay combined to take the final six wickets for just 21 runs with Williams taking 4/11 at the end of the day.

Liam Bury and Alex Hosking were determined to make some serious inroads in the low target and Bury hit a four off the second ball of the innings but was gone off the third, giving an early boost to South's chances of winning.

Quorn's captain Alex Hosking wanted to lead from the front and while Kade Baker was stubborn against the opening bowlers, Hosking kept the score ticking over.

He made 17 and got the team's total to 31 before Clayton Parkinson got the big wicket to fire his side up again.

From there, things unravelled for Quorn.

Baker was bowled by Parkinson and Tom Finlay was caught behind off Vater just five runs later.

It was down to experienced batsmen, Matt Griffiths and Williams to get the innings back on track, but once the South attack got a sniff, they kept the foot on the gas.

Griffiths was bowled by the Association's leading wicket-taker, Shirley for 13 and Williams fell to Vater for 4, leaving Quorn 6/50

That quickly became 7/50 when Mark Francis was adjudged LBW off Shirley, exposing the tail.

With such a low total to defend, South still felt the pressure while Corey Finlay ws still at the crease, but the doubts were relieved by Ben Trewartha who found the edge of the veteran's bat for 12.

The 42 runs that were required from the final three batsmen were too much in the end as Shirley wrapped up the match and incredibly, Quorn were bowled out for 67.

Shirley finished with 4/18 while Parkinson and Vater each to two and Driscoll and Trewartha took one apiece.

Elimination Final: West vs. Central/Stirling

Sam Carter has helped keep Central/Stirling's season alive with an Elimination Final win over West.

After Central's bowling attack restricted West to 110, the top order didn't make much of a dent in the run chase until Carter blasted 41 to get them into a Preliminary Final.

After making 72 last time he played Central, Rhys Dadleh opened the batting with Matheesha Herath, but couldn't repeat those efforts.

After Cameron Edson and Dean Miller kept the pressure on with plenty of dot balls, Dadleh sliced one to Nick Wedding at fly slip to hand Miller his first wicket.

Hollitt was next to fall thanks to a diving catch from Ryan Kuerschner at mid wicket, leaving West 2/8.

This brought the captain Mitchell Foote in to settle things down and he did a fine job in doing so.

Despite Edson dismissing Herath for 7, Foote and Josh Dunstan came together for what would be the Hawks' best partnership of the day.

The exceptionally tight bowling from Central's bowlers kept the scoring rate down, but the pair weren't flustered and weren't prepared to give their wickets away cheaply.

The 45-run stand was finally ended in the 29th over when Foote looked to attack Nick Wedding but mistimed his off drive and was caught by Will Tucker.

Dunstan then put on 21 with Chris Sheil but fell for 33 to Tucker.

At 5/87 after 40 overs, Sheil and Jason McInerney set about getting the tally up to a defendable score.

They got the Hawks to 97 but then both of them fell in consecutive balls to Brendn Davis in the exact same way, leaving it up to the tail to get a good score.

Kale Irvine and Ashley Stroyan got them into triple figures but that was about it as Davis cleaned up the tail and West were bowled out in the 47th over for 110.

Davis' 4/11 were the best figures of the Central bowlers while Edson's economical 2/14 and Tucker's 2/16 were also important.

To begin the chase, Central hit a rocky start when Steven Hutchins added to his 21 wickets for the season with one in his first over.

Connor Harrison and Lucas Hill steadied the ship but, similarly to their opponents, went at a slow but steady rate.

Their 23-run partnership lasted 15 overs as Foote, Hutchins and Hollitt kept the pressure on.

The latter finally broke the stand when Harrison was caught in the slips by Dadleh for 13.

The competition's leading run scorer, Nathan Khan, took his place but didn't have one of his memorable innings as Ashley Stroyan struck with two wickets in one over, leaving Central in trouble at 4/34 after 21 overs.

Edson was the next man in and looked solid at the crease, but lost his partner, Hill, for 14 as Hollitt finished his eight-over spell with figures of 2/9.

This is where Carter came to the middle and got off the mark with a pressure-relieving boundary.

He took a liking to Dunstan and showed confidence in hitting back-to-back sixes.

However, in the same over, Dunstan bowled Edson with the Tigers still needing another 42 runs to win.

Ryan Kuerschner came out with a big job to do, but the pressure didn't seem to faze the number eight batsman as he partnered Carter well and kept the scoreboard ticking over.

The pair were able to get Dunstan, Stoyan and McInerney away for a lot of twos and the occasional four and continued to get closer and closer to victory.

After seeing their side go at under two runs an over for the first 25 overs, Carter and Kuerschner scored freely in their match-winning partnership.

They put on 43 runs in the seven overs that they shared in the middle, guiding Central home to a four-wicket win.

Carter finished with 41 not out and Kuerschner made 19 not out to be the top two individual scorers for the innings.

Next week, Quorn will play host to Central in the Preliminary Final with a spot in the Grand Final up for grabs.