Brisbane lockdown blocks Vic travellers

Travellers arrive in Melbourne from Queensland ahead of a three-day lockdown in Brisbane.
Travellers arrive in Melbourne from Queensland ahead of a three-day lockdown in Brisbane.

Interstate travel headaches for Victorians continue, with Greater Brisbane now off limits while its residents are under a strict three-day COVID-19 lockdown.

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said on Friday that any Victorians in the Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Redland, Ipswich or Logan council areas area should cancel any travel plans back to their home state.

Anyone who has been in those areas since January 2 should not leave until at least Monday, he said.

Victorians planning to enter those parts of the sunshine state should also ditch their plans.

"All Victorians in these areas are advised to follow the guidance of the Queensland government and any Victorian with plans to travel to these areas should cancel them," Prof Sutton said.

Those who have arrived in Victoria from the greater Brisbane area since January 2 should get tested and self-quarantine until Monday when a further assessment will be made, he said.

The direction followed a meeting of the national cabinet earlier on Friday which resulted in Greater Brisbane being declared a coronavirus hot spot, after a positive COVID-19 test of a cleaner at a quarantine hotel.

Worryingly for authorities, the cleaner has been diagnosed with the UK's highly infectious, mutant strain of coronavirus.

Implications of the Brisbane situation on Victoria's travel permit system are yet to be updated.

Meanwhile, Victoria has marked a second straight day with no new locally acquired COVID-19 cases, a result marred by a hardware malfunction delaying thousands of test results.

Mr Andrews apologised for the delay and confirmed the results were beginning to be fed out to people on Friday morning and would appear in Saturday's figures.

The two-day streak with no reported community transmission has Mr Andrews upbeat that contact tracers are winning the fight against the 27-case outbreak linked to a Thai eatery in bayside Melbourne.

"There is a degree of confidence that we are close to running Black Rock to ground," he said.

Australian Associated Press